RECIPES AND COOKING TIPS
*All birds purchased are our 12 week strain unless customers have asked for the 16 week birds.
84 DAY STRAIN (12 WEEKS)
Great for roasting however being 12 weeks and not the usual 5 weeks they need to be slow cooked on a low temperature. 150 Deg and roast for 45 mins per 500g in an oven bag (or foil). Uncover for the last 10-15 minutes to brown the skin.
Brined Chicken ( Our favourite recipe ).
1/3 Cup Cooking Salt
6 Sprigs of thyme, 8 Sprigs Parsley, 3 bay leaves, 2 Sprigs Rosemary
2 Lemons quartered, 1/4 cup honey, 6 garlic cloves crushed
Black peppercorns to taste
INSTRUCTIONS FOR BRINING
1 - Pour 1/3 of water into a large pot (large enough for brine and submerged chicken) with all other brine ingredients. Bring to boil an leave for 1 minute, stir to dissolve salt.
2 - Remove from heat and pour in remaining water. Cool for 45 minutes and then refrigerate for one and a half hours. DON`T put chicken in before completely cold (can be a health risk ).
3 - Submerge chicken in brine and cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Dont worry if back of chicken is not submerged but make sure the breast is.
ROASTING BRINED CHICKEN
1. Remove chicken and pat dry, pre heat oven to 220 deg (fan forced)
2. Brush with butter all over including underside
3. Sprinkle with pepper and salt and place in heavy based roasting tray.
4. Turn oven down to 180 Deg then roast for 50 mins to 1 hour (for a 1.5 to 2kg chicken), adjust cooking times slightly for a smaller or larger bird. Check at 45 minutes and brush with more butter.
5. Remove and rest for 10 to 15 minutes under foil.
ROAST CHICKEN RECIPE
1. Heat oven to 150 degrees and place chicken on a wire rack in a roasting tray.
2. Quarter a lemon into cavity along with some sprigs of rosemary.
3.Brush the chicken with melted butter and salt and pepper to taste.
4.Pour a cup of water into a roasting tray and place tray and chicken on rack in the oven. Cook for 45 minutes per 500g.
5. Remove bird from oven and turn temp. to 200 degrees. Brush bird with melted butter and return bird to oven.
6.Remove from oven when bird is golden brown ( aprox. 5 - 15 mins ).
112 DAY STRAIN (16 WEEKS)
Perfect in a slow cooker, coq au vin, terrine's, risotto, casseroles, asian dishes or for adding amazing chicken flavour to any dish.